Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Semester Excitement!

Fact: The Sea Wasp jellyfish will kill you in four minutes unless you can avoid drowning from the paralysis its sting causes via harpoon tentacles, call one of the hospitals that has the anti-venom, and the ambulance comes in time to save you. Of course, if you’re a smaller person you’ve already got less than four minutes. Moral of the story: don’t go swimming off the northern coast of Australia.

I’m not being sarcastic when I title this post “New Semester Excitement!” This is the semester I’ve been most excited about! Before I ramble on about its awesomeness, I’ll get a few not so exciting things out of the way first. (Which are thankfully only range from very to mildly annoying.)

What’s not so great:

Textbooks depress me. This feeling is universal for college students. Textbooks are expensive, heavy, and the sell back price at the end of the semester is insultingly low. I could go on about my specific textbook annoyances this semester, but they basically boil down to the obscene cost they add up to.

Quiznos changed their sandwiches. Those who know me well know my love of sandwiches. I could easily eat sandwiches for lunch every day and be perfectly happy. I know all of the sandwich chains within easy walking distance of campus and frequent one so often the employees recognize me and my order; that restaurant is Quiznos. I wasn’t a fan of Quiznos before college, but it was so conveniently placed on campus that I found myself eating there a lot and now it’s one of my usual places. Sadly, this semester the unthinkable happened... they changed their sandwich (at least my usual turkey sandwich). I’ll go back sometime, but probably not as often as I used to.

Caffeine wants attention again. I’m not a coffee drinker. My caffeine intake is made up of Sweet Leaf iced tea and Frappachinos. Over the Christmas break I didn’t touch either and was fine, but I’m back on campus for a day and my body takes that as code for “make her super lethargic in the afternoon, even though today classes were only about going over the syllabus.” Evil. So, one Sweet Leaf later I’m back to my dependent state. Caffeine, like textbooks, is a fact of life for most students.

The combination of allergies and being exposed to thousands of people’s germs again. Last day of the first week was great, minus the whole trouble breathing/stuffed head/upset stomach thing. An annoying end to an otherwise great week back. Speaking of that great week...

What’s awesome:

Running into friends on campus is fun. Whether it’s a best friend or an acquaintance from that one class that one semester, it’s nice to see a friendly face on such a huge campus.

I love my job. It’s fun and I get paid. What more is there to say?

Squirrels. Everywhere! Another thing my friends know about me: I have a slight squirrel obsession. They’re adorable and whenever there’s one within sight I will almost certainly point it out, even if that means interrupting my train of thought. My squirrelly goals this semester are 1) feed a squirrel (I have been snubbed once. The rude squirrel will eat old french fries sitting outside Wendy’s, but he won’t take a bit of my granola bar for him?), and 2) see the albino squirrel on a day I have a test. I have seen the elusive and mystical creature once, but I need to see it on a test day to be able to use its powers.

My schedule rocks. I have Fridays off! Sure, my schedule is pretty tight during the week, but I’ve got a three day weekend for homework, projects, sleep, and socializing.

Upper division film classes are amazing! I took my last intro level film classes last semester, which weren’t as challenging or intense as I would have liked. Thankfully, I’m incredibly psyched for this semester! My professors all seem really into their subjects and there are some amazing projects lined up. I love how the classes are structured; it’s all about perfecting the craft and hands on work. I’ve been told by some people that I’m killing myself by taking this combination of classes in one semester, but I know I can handle it. And hey, if this semester film eats my life, so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment